Saturday, July 30, 2011

Sorry Dave Ramsey but one size doesn’t fit all

Hello, my name is Nick Har and I am an independent financial advisor for ING. After watching this clip from Dave Ramsey and his reason to get only term insurance, it really infuriates me how much a lazy, lethargic person this guy is. It’s amazing how many people listen to this garbage. Can you believe this guy?

His reason for getting only term insurance, he quotes, “let say I’m talking to a 32 year old who has a 4 year and a 2 year old. Let’s visit him 20 years from now, when he’s 20 year level term that I recommend expires. That would make him 52, he would have a 24 year old and a 22 year old. They should, hypothetically, both he out of college, both be grown, gone, out of the picture, no longer a liability.”

How many people out there do you know who are 24 years old, or even lets say 27 years old who are financially independent? Realistically I know quite a bit of people who are still dependent, trying to pursue grad school, and honestly the new trend for people is to stay dependent for a longer period of time..

He also mentions that when he is 52 years he should have about $700k in his 401k if they were to contribute 15% into their 401k!! Are you freaking kidding me! Mutual funds don’t always go up year after year Mr. Ramsey. We have something called recession that occurs every 8 to 10 years.

Dave Ramsey views and financial advice is a one size fits all mentality. What this means is that if you don’t have a 401k at your job, then sorry Dave Ramsey won’t help you out. If you have kids who are still staying at home and they are in their mid 20s then sorry Dave Ramsey won’t help you out. If you don’t have 15 year fixed mortgage then sorry Dave Ramsey won’t help you out! If I want to listen to a financial advisor, I would want someone who can give me advice based on my own personal situation rather than unrealistic hypothetical scenerios.

No comments:

Post a Comment